The project is aimed at the adoption of LNG as marine fuel by building a bunker vessel that is an innovation in the LNG bunker market, by making port investments to facilitate LNG bunkering, and by educating people by developing training courses and pilots in the field of LNG operations.
The ReaLNG project is a showcase on LNG uptake in the North Sea-Baltic, contributing to lower GHG and local emissions in Europe, and complying with regulatory requirements as part of the involved partners´ global initiatives. The project will:
- Deploy the innovative LNG bunker vessel and put it into operation
- Offer Ship-to-Ship Bunkering in the biggest European port on an open access market principle
- Deploy LNG bunkering solutions together with safety measures
- Deploy the first four LNG fuelled container vessels and two chemical tankers
- Provide training materials and courses to ensure safe LNG operations on vessels and in ports
The project started on 1 January 2014 and the completion date is 30 June 2017.